Trip to Nashville

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted anything. Looking forward to getting back to it thought.
I've been busy teaching and playing which is good. I also had a great summer of travelling one of which was a family trip down to Nashville Tennessee. Man I love that city. It's like New York for me in the sense of it being a serious recharge button musically. Music is such a big part of both of those cities and it always confirms that deciding to do this crazy thing called a music career was worth it.

Got to see the great dobro player Jerry Douglas and the Earls Of Leicester at the famous Ryman Theatre. This group is basically a tribute to the Flatts and Scruggs band. Amazing bluegrass playing.
I also lucked out and stumbled upon a great new restaurant/music club on Broadway called Acme Seed and Feed which just so happened to be presenting the first of a new regular series called "Trapped Above Ground" which is hosted by a great guitar player named Guthrie Trapp. It's basically him and his band with several guests per week that sit in. Great idea and Guthrie Trapp is a monster guitar player. Big session guy in Nashville.

I also went to the Grand Ole Opry and saw Connie Smith, the Whites and many others. Great time and it was nice to see the famous show. Another treat was being able to see Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives at the Frist Center for the Visual Arts. We not only saw Marty Staurt but his photography was featured. He has some great shots of people like Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Connie Smith, George Jones, Bill Monroe and many more. The band sounded fantastic with Kenny Vaughan along with Marty tearing it up on their teles.

On a tech note, D'Addario strings, who I have an endorsement with, has come out with a new electric string series called NYXL and they are even better than past D'Addario strings which is a hard thing to achieve. I made a promo video for them shot by my daughter Quinn Bray.




I've been listening to a real varied set of recordings which is pretty usual for me.

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil (1965)

Amazing record that I have listed to hundreds of times over the years and it never ceases to impress and inspire. Wayne Shorter's tenor saxophone playing and composing is in top form plus Freddie Hubbard just tears it up on the trumpet. Love his playing. The rhythm section is also top tier with Herbie Hancock - piano, Ron Carter - bass and Elvin Jones -drums. If you don't have it buy it now. I mean it!!

George Jones - Cold Hard Truth - (1999)

I love George Jones who unfortunately past away recently. This is a great, real country record with well written tunes and features the great Nashville A-Team with Brent Mason on guitar, Glen Worf on bass, Eddie Bayers on drums, Paul Franklin on drums, Stuart Duncan on fiddle and the list goes on. Well worth getting especially if you are a fan of country music but have been a little disillusioned of late with the "grab a bud and hop on into my pick up truck baby" country. This is the real deal.

That's all for now.
SB

Comments

Popular Posts